Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I met Mr Top 40

Yesterday, I met the guy who compiles the British pop charts. He's the data guy. - more or less.

Wow, I said, I don't know much about these popular beat combos*, but that's pretty cool.

I asked him who was number 1 last week - it was the Scissor Sisters - and I was so proud of myself, since I'd actually heard of them.

Not only have I heard of them, but quite by chance I actually have a bootleg copy of one of their albums. I didn't mention this because Mr Top 40's boyfriend works for the evil association of British record companies who sue illegal downloaders.

Anyway, I figure this is a pretty useful connection if I ever launch my pop career.

He was telling me all this over stew at a fund raising dinner. The menu was in French so we tried to figure out if we were about to eat horse or dog. We had a good laugh, and then we were told it was venison. Mr Top 40's parents were venison farmers. He doesn't like deer, he said, growing up among them it was kind of like eating your pets.

Maybe. But they sure were tasty tender pets.
-------

*popular beat combo: a british joke indicating you're totally clueless when it comes to music. Some establishment figure once said of the Beatles "I believe they are some sort of popular beat combo" when asked by another establishment fellow who the blazes were these mopheaded chaps.

--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________

No comments: