Monday, September 04, 2006

Shot through the heart

The Croc hunter is dead. Stung in the chest by a stingray while filming an underwater documentary, Steve Irwin died on the beach leaving behind his American born wife and two children.

Fellow Australian film maker David Ireland said:

"I don't want to go into this because I'm thinking of his family and what they must be going through, but they (stingrays) are very dangerous.

"They have one or two barbs in the tails which are not only coated in toxic material but are also like a bayonet, like a bayonet on a rifle.

"If it hits any vital organs it's as deadly as a bayonet."

Stingrays, dangerous? D'ya think?

I enjoyed Steve Irwin's shows, but that dude was craaazy.

2 comments:

genderist said...

I think he'd be glad he died by the bayonet of a stingray... and not a heart attack or cancer or something.

It fits for me in the universe.

Dan said...

I'm not sure they're as dangerous as all that if they let you pet them at the Texas Aquarium in Corpus Christi.

By all accounts, there have been only a handful of deaths by stingray...ever. I stepped on one in Daytona when I was a kid with no ill effects. It appears Irwin wasn't even harrassing it in his usual fashion, which makes his death all the more bizarre and sad. I always found Irwin to be goofy and fun to watch. I'm unaccountably sad that he's gone.