Saturday, September 24, 2005

Can I get arrested in this town?

Scary. Very scary.

An article in the Guardian timelines the arrest and detention of a Londoner of French nationality under the Terrorism Act. What did he do?

David Mery writes: I am told that I am being stopped and searched because:

1. they found my behaviour suspicious from direct observation and then from watching me on the CCTV system;
2. I went into the station without looking at the police officers at the entrance or by the gates;
3, two other men entered the station at about the same time as me;
4, I am wearing a jacket "too warm for the season";
5. I am carrying a bulky rucksack, and kept my rucksack with me at all times;
6. I looked at people coming on the platform;
7. I played with my phone and then took a paper from inside my jacket.

Since I'm a white female and not even swarthy, I'm generally not too paranoid about being mistaken for a terrorist. But this did make me stop and think.

1. Does my behaviour look suspicious? Maybe. I do have a kleptomaniacal fantasy about covering my fridge with the London Underground update board magnets (they say things like "Suspended", "Severe delays" or "Normal service" - blow me if I can tell a difference between these on a bad day) so I'm always eyeing those boards in a guilty way.
2. Looking at the cops? I'm never sure if I should look at them or not. Is it suspcious behaviour when I look at them and then glance away. They make me nervous.
3. Uhh, what am I supposed to do about that?
4. I'm usually wearing a jacket "too heavy for the season" because you never know what the weather is going to do here, and my office is freezing, summer and winter... and my rucksack's too full to stuff it into.
5. Yep, I carry a bulky rucksack. Work papers, gym clothes, etc. And of course I bloody well keep it with me at all times, I don't want it getting nicked do I?
6. Looking at people? I never used to do that, but now I do. Is that guy a terrorist? Is that guy a rucksack thief?
7. Yep, I play with my phone or blackberry. I read messages, compose posts to this blog and play a rather accomplished game of brickbreaker...

Geeez...

Hat Tip: Going Underground

1 comment:

melusina said...

Yeeshk. Things are getting way too tense about this stuff.

Sure, I understand wanting to prevent another disaster. But there has to be some way to balance the extreme paranoia and the ability to spot someone who really might be a terrorist.

At least they weren't shooting to kill this time.