Friday, September 09, 2005

Helping?

What I've been reading this morning:

Read this post from Appalachia Alumni Association about relief efforts in Austin, Tx. Very sad, very moving. Good for you Hope.

VolMom, if you're reading this, it looks like there may be a need somewhere for your excellent form-filling-out skills.

...and if you're interested in what the "FEMA approved", Pat Robertson run Operation Blessing has been up to, you could do worse than look at Sharon Cobb's post.

I've seen all over the Net that Pat Robertson's organisation was plugged on the FEMA site, but I couldn't find it when I looked this morning. Maybe I overlooked it? The link for donations on the FEMA site took me to USA Freedom Corps, a .gov site. This is an agency which is supposed to coordinate and encourage volunteering, not just for disasters, but generally. They seem to be plugging the Clinton-Bush fundraising effort, but there are links to others.

(It's laudable aim, but why do they gotta call everything Freedom? Wouldn't it have been more descriptive to call it US Voluntary Corps or something like that? I don't know, it's just a small niggle in a sea of trouble.)

No comments: