Thursday, June 01, 2006

Cup fever

The World Cup is not far away now. Vol Abroad readers get ready for some World Cup blogging. I love the World Cup - and I don't hide my allegiance. I support England. Yes, I know it's traitorous. But sport is about emotion - and while I want the US team to do well, it doesn't break my heart if they lose. I don't shed any tears when they lose in the knock-out stages and I'm pleased, happy even, but not jubilant when they win. So in the balance, England v. USA - I'd have to plump for England.

_______

There's been a proliferation of England flags, England hats, England shirts. Just yesterday I bought some England car window flags - which I'll be installing when I next use my car. (I'll probably have the only car in London with a pair of England flags and the Volunteers' Power T in the back window.)

I'm excited, but frankly I'm trying to contain my excitement. I watched the friendly between England and Hungary a couple of nights ago - and England's performance, particularly in the first half was lacklustre, lazy and just frankly boring. The Vol-in-Law made me switch over to watch Celebrity X Factor - so we missed all three England goals which eventually gave them the win. (Though we did catch an amazing goal from Hungary)

England football provides great hope, but great disappointment. I hate to say it, but the England team will always break your heart in the end.
_________

Even if England doesn't rack up a string of victories this World Cup, at least there are a string of England World Cup songs. Apparently the official song is so lame, that the free market of pop song ideas has generated a slew of competitors. You can check out some of them here.

2 comments:

melusina said...

I don't have Greece to root for (thanks to their crap playing) so I guess I'm stuck cheering for the U.S.

I expect some damn good soccer from all teams, otherwise I'll get bored.

Kate Mc said...

Oooh... I envy you... you have a television... I, on the other hand, have no television... but there are local pubs =)

On the bright side, I don't have to worry about being a traitor when it comes to support in the upcoming melees... Canada SUCKS and totally didn't make it. We almost beat Mexico once and it was cause for celebration. Seriously.