Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Anything for a free rack

On Sunday, the Vol-in-Law took our usual amble in the Deer Park. I find the fresh air and open spaces destressing, plus it's beautiful in the Spring.

The young deer were feeling their oats, too and we watched from afar as two young bucks clashed violently.

The Vol-in-Law noticed that one of the deer seemed to be missing an antler. We assumed it had just come off. It had clearly come off fairly recently (see rather gruesome picture here). I said "Hey, we could collect that antler," and the Vol-in-Law started up the hill to find the thing. I ambled along after him at my waddle-dy pregnant pace.

We did a "finger tip search" where we'd seen the deer fight. Nothing. Nada. Rien. I really don't think it was there. But, of course, antlers are the same color as sticks. Probably for adaptive evolutionary reasons.

We finally gave up looking for it, and the Vol-in-Law said - "I only wanted it for you. For me the antler is just a piece of bloody anatomy, but for you it means something."

((What?))

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a recent episode of Silent Witness on BBC America a part of the story was situated in Richmond Park.

Would this be the same park?

Vol Abroad said...

Yep - were they more successful with their fingertip search?