Thursday, April 19, 2007

t-31: terrifying advice

So, I'm at my conference today - and folks who know me from previous conferences, projects and my professional online persona were all wishing me good luck with the impending parenthood. Over the last few days several people have been telling me how worth it parenthood is, best thing they've ever done, etc. etc. Just who exactly are they trying to convince?

Any time folks start overegging it, I start wondering what they're trying to hide. At this point, I think maybe I should have just got a new kitten - but I'm hoping that I'll get a lovely oxytocin hormone brain wash at Cletus's birth that will make me smile like a Stepford Parent, too.

Apparently the effects wear off over time, though. One person whipped out a book called My Teenager the Alien, or Teenagers are from Pluto or Hell or something like that. And she advised me to "enjoy them while they're young" - 'cause when they get big they get ugly - but apparently it's all so worth it anyway.

Ha, ha. Change subject. Let's move on.

Still, I guess that beats people telling me labor and birth horror stories.

31 days til baby Cletus

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you should probably not be reading my friend KathyR's blog right now, or you'll be phoning adoption agencies. Her boy's 13.

She's even made me wish I'd sold my child to the white slavers, and I actually like mine. Most of the time, anyway.