Friday, April 27, 2007

Taller than on the internet

I'm used to the idea that celebreties are smaller than they appear on tv or the big screen (not that I ever go to the cinema).

But this well-known conservative British blogger was much taller than I expected. I saw him at an event last night where he pretty much defended the reputation of blogging single-handedly. Well, he did when he was given the opportunity for an edgewise word. I won't go on about it, 'cause I will be blogging for work on this, too - but just a few points:

  • Blogging is all noise and no voice.
  • Blogging is too agressive and male-oriented to be a truly democratic movement.
  • It's too hard for the little bloggers to get heard.

Errr...blogging is about individuals. This blog is my individual point of view. This is my voice. If you think it sounds like noise, you're more than welcome to go elsewhere. What's that Ms. Professional Journalist - you didn't hear what I was saying? You were too busy spouting off your opinion? For money? Still, it's a good thing that a slip of a girl like you has made such good headway in such a male dominated profession like journalism.

I just do not get why people who are in exclusive professions like PR, mainstream journalism, or books complain about blogs (free to run, anyone with internet access can do it) for being too exclusive. And as for the little blogs not getting heard, I've come to the conclusion that the best bloggers - the ones who get read the most are written by the people who listen*, who are part of a community. Blowhards always reveal themselves. Just like real life.

_____
*my empathy-expression and listening skills have always been areas for improvement, but at least I know this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's one genre in which quantity matters over quality. Which sort of goes with point number one.