Thursday, April 26, 2007

t-25: baby soundtrack

I'm starting to feel a bit remiss that I haven't playing classical music to Cletus in utero. It's not so much that I'm a big old music snob, but that I've heard that if you play (especially) classical music to the babe-in-womb the same piece can later soothe the babe-in-arms.

But I haven't really been playing much music at all lately. I'm a talk radio gal. But the if the BBC World Service can put baby to sleep, then I guess that's still good.

-0-

The Nashville Knucklehead says there are other reasons to have a baby soundtrack. He writes a really sweet post on the music a father and daughter can listen to together and rounds it off with a pragmatic twist.

Someday, when she is sixteen and has dyed her hair black and has a tatoo and mulitple piercings and she hates me, she will hear one of those songs and realize that she really doesn't hate me after all.


Awww. Maybe me and Cletus should have an "our song" - not sure what it would be. The only song of any length I know all the words to is Rocky Top. I'd like him to understand American folk music and early forms of indigenous popular music (like Blues and Country) - particularly if he grows up in the UK.

And what would the Vol-in-Law choose? He likes to sing, but mostly songs about cats that he makes up.

25 24 days til baby Cletus

2 comments:

Lynnster said...

I'm kinda thinking Cletus will come out humming "Rocky Top".

The Vol-in-Law and I apparently have something in common. I have never told another living soul this except for my former co-worker. I used to make up songs about my dog, Dobie, all the time - especially when I had him in the bathtub. Except they were made up songs to real music. Like this one (sung to the tune of "Davy Crockett" -

"Dobie, Dobie Crockett,
He's got big old ears."

There was another one to a Pink Floyd song but I now don't recall what it was.

He would just look pitiful and mortified (especially if he was in the bathtub). It wasn't my singing, I used to sing semi-pro! Heh.

In any case, I totally get the made up songs about cats.

Anonymous said...

My daughter used to bebop to the Fine Young Cannibals as an infant. Wonder if that would take the edge off finals?