Sunday, April 01, 2007

cravings

My husband seems very pleased that I have not acted as some pregnant women he has heard of. The kind who - though perhaps living only in myth - order their husbands out in the middle of the night to fetch ice cream or pickles or some other food substance to satisfy some craving.

He's been bragging to all and sundry that the worst I've made him do is help me on with my socks (and in that only for the left foot as I can still reach the right).

But as there is really only a month and a half to go - I feel I might be depriving my spouse of the experience of catering to the crazy whims of a pregnant woman. So perhaps I need to cook up some cravings.

Things I'd quite like:
Krystals
SunDrop
Catfish & hushpuppies
Tasty Tennessee BBQ (slight preference for Middle TN style)
Biscuits
A sausage biscuit
fried okra
squash casserole (extra cheesy)
grits
ice tea

Truth be told - I can make the casserole (substituting zucchini for yellow squash) and the grits and the tea and I've even made the fried okra from scratch (trouble to do, but divine!). I can make biscuits - but they're only OK.

The rest of it absolutely unobtainable here. And these are more like homesick cravings than pregnancy cravings - I've craved these before without such an excuse.

But anyway, I couldn't send my husband out for this since there's no way that he'd actually get it - and if I can make it myself, how can I make him suffer to procure it.

So beyond the cliched what can I send him out for in the middle of the night?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.sundropbottling.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=sd&Category_Code=sundrop

Not sure what the shipping would be.

Lynnster said...

You poor thing. My parents were living here in Memphis when my mom was pregnant with me and she used to send him out for Krystals ALL the time.

And I crave Sundrop lots myself since we don't get it in West Tennessee - especially when I have a hangover. That was always my morning after cure.

Have to think on this for a bit. I'm guessing English fish & chips is no substitute at all for catfish & hushpuppies...

(Boy, can I tell I'm a Tennesseean... I have a hard time typing "catfish" because to me that IS "fish"...LOL.)

girl from the south said...

What about moonpies? Pregnancy is about the only time you could justify all that sugar and chocolate. Must plug Chattanooga's specialty!

Vol Abroad said...

errr..Moonpies - no thanks.

Goo Goo Clusters (Supreme of course)- YES!!!

Little Debbie Nutty Twin - yes, yes, yes.