Friday, April 27, 2007

Tennesse tornado

Over at Nashville is Talking, there's a collection of tornado clips from YouTube - all in Tennessee. I knew people who lost property in the 2005 Ethridge tornado. Last year's Gallatin tornado happened the same day my baby cousin was born. My poor cousin A was wisked to the ER to have an emergency c-section. Pre-eclampsia and extreme weather don't mix. (It's all OK now).

-0-

I was telling a co-worker about my baby cousin's birth and the tornado that bore down on the Nashville area the same day. He said "What was it called?" - I told him the baby's name. "Was that the same as the tornado?" he asked.

I sat there puzzled, and I finally figured out that he was asking what the tornado was called.

Me: Oh, we don't name tornadoes.
Him: I thought you did.
Me: Nah, just hurricanes. But that's not us, anyway. That's those emotional, coastal type people who have to name their big storms.

No comments: