Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Just plain wrong

I love Krystals. I miss Krystals. I liked them as a kid and I loved them as drunk college student when Krystals was the only place open on the strip. No trip to America is complete without dragging my British husband to Krystals where he marvels at my capacity to eat the gut bombs.

But this, this is wrong:

To make Collins' "Krystal Pizza," the only ingredients needed are two large pepperoni pizzas, twelve to fourteen Cheese Krystals and one cup of garlic butter. The Cheese Krystals are arranged on top of one pepperoni pizza. The second pizza is then placed upside down on top of the Krystals and the first pizza.

Collins says the pizzas are then put into the oven and allowed to melt together, sealing the Krystals inside. For the final touch, he suggests poking holes in the top of the "pizza" and pouring on the garlic butter, allowing it to soak down into the Krystals and pizza. After that, it's just "slice and serve" according to Collins.

This is the recipe that got Justen Collins of Maryville, TN a spot in the Krystal Hall of Fame.

Freak.

(HT - Lynnster)

4 comments:

Lynnster said...

Now, as much as you love and are missing Krystals, are you telling me that if someone showed up on your door with that pizza concoction you wouldn't at least have a slice? :)

Did you see my commenter whose dad used to bring back briefcases full of Krystals packed in dry ice when the family was living in Germany? Too bad airline security is what it is these days - however, that might always be an idea for shipping to the U.K.!

Vol Abroad said...

Yeah - I saw that. But I'd still have my doubts on the dry ice thing - Krystals have to be eaten fresh off the whatever it is they concoct it on.

And yes, I admit if the Krystal Pizza showed up at my door, I'd try it.

But I'm sure I'd be sorry.

Lynnster said...

I don't see how anyone could get thru the Krystal Pizza without gastrointestinal repercussions. I mean, Krystals alone are prone to do such things anyway.

Not like this place that used to (may still be, I dunno) be in Cookeville near the Tech campus, though. They had their own version of Krystals that absolutely would make the bathroom the partaker's destination soon enough. Nowhere near as good as a real Krystal, but drunk at 3 in the morning it really didn't matter, of course. ;)

Anonymous said...

I worked at Krystal for 2 years in high school and consumed them almost daily. As a result, I have an abnormally high tolerance. I'm not sure I'd be happy to live out of range of one!

Lisa