Friday, April 13, 2007

T- 37: Baby wants cake

37 days til Baby Cletus

I had a midwife's appointment today. We reveiwed my blood test results from the last time I had an appointment with the midwife - which was about 7 weeks ago. Apparently my glucose was a little high.

Now I knew that my glucose would be high. No one told me that I would be having my glucose tested so before I left for my appointment (which is a ten minute walk from my house) - I stuffed some cake in my mouth and washed it down with apple juice.

For once I didn't have to wait long and the midwife appointment didn't take long, so 45 minutes after shoving some cake in my pie hole (and washing it down with apple juice) I was seated in the phlebotomist's chair.

Phlebotomist: Have you eaten in the last two hours?
Me: Yep
Phlebotomist: What did you have?
Me: Cake and apple juice.
Phlebotomist: You're probably going to have to retake this.
Me: Oh yeah, I'm gonna fail the blood sugar thing for sure.


So, we reviewed my notes and yes, the blood sugar was a little high (just marginally over the edge which is pretty good since I'd had 2 slices of cake, if I'm honest). The notes said "Give dietary advice" - meaning I should probably watch my sugars. But my blood sugar wasn't so high that they thought it was worth calling me at any time during the 7 weeks they'd had the results.

But their advice was - avoid fizzy drinks - even diet drinks.

Pahhh - with their advice. And anyway, what's a Jack and Coke without the Coke?

Now if they'd said, stay away from simple refined sugars, including highly processed carbs like white bread - I'd have had a little respect for them.

Cut out all the sweets, they said. The Vol-in-Law was not helpful - he'd said "Didn't you have some ice cream last night, VA?"

This is the first midwife's appointment he attends and this is his contribution? That and pointing out that the domestic violence posters - the one which was about violent partners picking on small details to start a big fight - had misplaced apostrophes (it's when they meant the possessive its) which he said - reasonably loudly in the waiting area - made him really angry.

I asked for another glucose test (since I'd skipped lunch) - and then I argued with the midwife about when my next appointment should be - she seemed to think I didn't need to come in quite so frequently since "the baby is fine and you're fine." (Could I get some ice cream for that?)

No comments: