Friday, April 06, 2007

Name it after me...nah, don't

Apparently it's been suggested that a stretch of US Highway 43 in Lawrenceburg be named after one of her native sons - Fred Thompson. Fred got wind of this and wrote to the relevant state assemblyman to thank him for the kind thought, but really to say no thanks.

Dear Joey,

I read where the naming of a segment of U.S. Highway 43 in Lawrenceburg after me is under consideration. I cannot blame anybody if there is hesitation to name another thing for another politician or former politician. But I must say that I am very appreciative of my friends in Lawrenceburg and Lawrence County who originally had this idea. The fact that they would want to do this is more important to me than the naming itself. My daddy’s car lot was on that stretch of road, so it’s special to me, but the fact is that I didn’t build it and I didn’t pay for it. The taxpayers did. So it is entirely appropriate that it remain U.S. Highway 43 the way I remember it when I was a boy. Therefore, I would request that you thank my friends and withdraw the naming bill.


I really appreciate your work on this and the great job you are doing for our people. All the best to you and your colleagues.


Sincerely.
Fred Thompson


There's been much lauding of Fred for his humility. (Bob Krumm and Red State). But my mother's family comes from this town, I went to high school there - and we've just called it U.S. Highway 43 as Fred says. I'm not sure this is an act of humility - and I'm not sure we should expect one from a professional actor and career politician. It's just that it wouldn't really be right to change the name. And especially after someone who, actually, doesn't seem to have done much for the town. Sure, Fred Thompson has served at the state and national level and he's helped put Lawrenceburg on the map. As far as I can tell, he didn't even manage to throw much pork toward Lawrence County (and I know some folks think that's a good thing...) But, and no offense, Fred left as soon as he reasonably could. I did, too. No shame in it.

But there are plenty of unsung town heroes from Lawrenceburg - folks who have done plenty and don't have anything named after them. Folks like my grandfather, who was instrumental in bringing industry to Lawrenceburg that lifted people out of disgraceful poverty, who was a leader during the labor unrest in the 60s, a man who served publicly and volunteered where he could and donated privately.

Now, I don't think my granddad would particularly have liked US Hwy 43 named after him (that probably would be too much), but then again he never sought to have anything name after him. Never really sought fame or fortune in anything. If someone could be a shining beacon of humility - then that was my grandfather. If Fred Thompson's press office are Googling for Fred and come across this post - please suggest to him that maybe something could be named for my granddad - William C Powell. Just mention the name, he knew him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should Powell somehow be associated with dentistry?

Vol Abroad said...

Only as a client. Farmers' supply.