Saturday, April 07, 2007

Greek to me

As we were walking in Richmond Deer Park yesterday, I exclaimed -

"Oh, the rhododendrons are in bloom!"

Which they were, to a limited extent. There are a lot of rhododendrons and azaleas in this park, and when they're all in bloom together it's pretty darn amazing. Yesterday, the first blossoms were starting to emerge.

rhododendron

rhododendron

rhododendron

Behind us, a father began to lecture his teenaged son.

"Rhododendron, from the Greek, rhodo - meaning pink and dendron meaning tree. So it literally means pink tree."

I thought to myself - will I be like that? Will I "inform" my kid with a bunch of knowledge valuable mostly as a shibboleth of intellectualism?

Why - yes, I will. But I would have probably added other examples of the use of dendron - e.g. dendritic river systems.

I hadn't thought about it before, but I was always most impressed with the way some of my mom's neighbors drilled their daughters in plant ID. I'd always thought of it was simply teaching potentially useful nature lore - but it's also a great way of teaching Latin and Greek root words, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My knowledge of plant ID is non-existent. I've always liked flowers (like any normal person), but never really developed a passion for them until moving to London. Do you have any tips for brushing up on the fine art of flower identification? You seem to know a lot about plants! ;)

Vol Abroad said...

be interested, look at tags, get a book, look at the characteristics of the plant - the leaves, the way it grows, the form of the flower, etc.