Friday, April 27, 2007

Popular beat combo

I keep seeing this word "emo" to describe some kind of new fangled musical stylings.

What is it? Can someone direct me to the quintessential downloadable clip?

Is it some kind of "txt" version of the power ballad? I mean are kids too lazy to type out whole words these days?

And why does it have its own overwrought I-cut-this-myself-because-I-hate-you hair style, as in:

but, all his hair combed forward, emo style, is just silly looking

I feel old.

6 comments:

Lynnster said...

Aw, you're not that old.

Emo's really been around a while. It was originally coined (more or less) to describe the music of Weezer and the like in the grunge days of the early '90s. It's sort of evolved into something even I don't really understand these days.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't call Weezer emo. Bright Eyes is emo, which stands for emotional. Weezer is too ironic to be emo.

There was a NYTimes magazine front page article on the lead singer of Bright Eyes that talks about the genre a few years ago. My daughters disdained emo, and girls who liked it.

Anonymous said...

You'r not old, you're becoming a parent. Tada. VolMom

Busy Mom said...

Dashboard Confessional - quintessential emo.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone seriously call him/herself or his/her music emo anymore? I think of it as being a rather derogatory term. At least, that's how I use it.

Lynnster said...

Kathy - what I'm saying is that Weezer was one of the "original" emo bands. That's basically where the term came from 'round about 1992-93, referring to Weezer and a couple of others at the time. There are probably a few thousand music journal articles from the first half of the 1990s around that will confirm this.

No, I wouldn't necessarily call Weezer emo now, but that's where it originally came from, and the genre has evolved and changed into something not quite the same as it was 15-ish years ago, yes.