Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Even more Euro idiocy

I had just finished posting on stupid European bureaucracy when I saw this.

Euroweenies say no to Halloweenie linking to a story on, well, just that.

This drives me mental.

"Halloween is American, we don't like Americanisation"

I always want to say -"Where the heck do you think we got it from in the first place? Do you think it's some kind of Native American custom?"

Halloween has definitely gotten to be a lot bigger thing than when I first arrived in this country. But how can that be a bad thing? Unless you're a wiccan (someone wrote into the Metro recently - a London free paper - that Halloween was disrespectful to her witchy religion) or maybe a hard line fundamentalist, Halloween is a great holiday. You get to dress up, have a little candy (if you're young), a little beer (if you're a bit older) and just have fun.

Today I was describing my costume (I'm going to be Adam Ant, my first foray into cross-dressing!) and one of my colleagues said: "That's not very Halloween"

In Britain, if people do Halloween, they go gruesome: witches, devils, dead people, monsters. I tried to explain that in American style Halloween costumes don't have to be ghoulish, they can be anything. (I definitely opt for the more glam costumes, mostly because I'm not very glam in my normal life.)

Someone a few desks away piped up "You're not in America now."

Thanks for pointing that out, I'd hardly noticed, given the dreary weather, bad teeth and poor service.

I say: "No, but it's an American style Halloween party."

"But you're not in America."

That's fair enough, I thought, but this person is one of those extreme lefties who's always going on about multi-culturalism , and the opression of imperialism (British and American) and the evils of capitalism and so on...

So I say: "What about respecting ethnic diversity and multi-culturalism? Don't I have the right to keep some of my holidays and traditions?"

No more was said.

Tags: , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Growing up in Ulster we always had Halloween, with turnip lanterns. I guess we exported it to America where you found pumpkins made better lanterns. The English had largely replaced Halloween with Guy Fawkes Night, hence the "it's American" thing.

melusina said...

Wow, I didn't know Halloween existed in Europe outside the U.K.

It is completely nonexistent in Greece. People in Greece have no idea what Halloween is at all, aside from some who are familiar with popular culture or who have lived in America. But Germany? Austria? Damn, I picked the wrong kind of European to marry!

I hate it, I love Halloween. But I like the scary side of it as much as the campy side.

Vol Abroad said...

That's why Halloween is great. 'Cause people like you can have scary or campy. And I can have campy! Sorry you're missing out on Halloween. I'll have an extra glass of spooky punch for you.

Anonymous said...

I am thinking about going to that Texas Exes party dressed as Dick Cheney. I am working on my scowl.

Has he resigned yet?