Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy

My old high school pal, St Caffeine, has sent me an unexpected gift - a 'happy' - from Alabama. (Thanks!)

What did I get?

  • Some fridge magnets
  • A CD
  • A pack of Rook cards.

The Rook cards are of a new "gothic" like design, which looks pretty cool. But nobody plays rook in London. The last time I played rook, was when VolMom and VolBro came to visit me - and the time before that, was when we were sitting up on my grandfather's porch, surrounded by his possessions that we were going to sell in the morning in an estate sale. That was a weird night, we had to watch all my dead grandfather's stuff to prevent it from being carried off. And a parade of my brother's friends who came round to cheer us up before the estate sale. Bless them - how did they cheer us up? Rook cards, beer, cigarettes. VolBro's friend Bates came round about 11:30 with his golf clubs and a bunch of hacked out golf balls. We stood in my grandfather's back yard and drove the golf balls across Springer Road toward the abandoned Mormon Church. (Abandoned after they went broke during an overambitious refurbishment and building expansion).

My grandfather would have never let us drink beer on his porch or chuck golf balls across the road. I have to think maybe he had a point (at least about the golf balls).

Anyway, you can see the new fridge magnets in this post.

About the CD. Lots of good stuff. Included on the CD was the song Knoxville Girl, which I am by birth. (Rex L Camino has a nice post on murder ballads at the team music blog Tangled Up in Blue).

Aren't there any good songs about Knoxville? Why does every song set in K-town have to end in tears or a jail sentence or both?

So I must end this post with a call for help.

  • Any positive, happy songs about Knoxville or Knoxvillians without jail sentences, criminal activities or death?
  • Anybody in South West London interested in some Rook? You can get my email from the Blogger profile.

2 comments:

St. Caffeine said...

I figured no one played Rook in London, but I also know you don't wait for others to catch up. I seem to recall that you were the first in line for many things (turnips?) when you moved to Lawrenceburg.

So use your wiles and get some Rook going. Besides, I needed something appropriately Southern to stick in your package and since I could not send SunDrop, Rook cards just seemed to fit the bill.

Anonymous said...

I remember my parents playing Rook until the wee hours, when I was a kid. The only fun they ever had, poor things.