Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Update on my troubles with large corporations

The Bradford and Bingley saga
Well our troubles with Bradford and Bingley aren't over, but they have informed us that our complaint has entered the formal complaints procedure. I have every confidence that we will see a successful resolution. (Not). Since I've given up hope of ever seeing my driver's license again, I have ordered a new one. I knew that the DVLA (driver and vehicular licensing agency) was really difficult to negotiate, but I had forgotten how much so. Trying to get through the automated phone menu was insane.

The DVLA use some kind of voice recognition software "if you would like to remove the bad driver points from your license, say 3. If you would like a replacement license, say 4" and so on. So I'm saying "four, four, four" as they cycle through the options until I hear
"...say 17, after the tone". And then I hear the tone. Oh.

So then I've said 4, and I wait a long time listening to some kind of poppy-hip-hoppy "baby, baby, baby" and I wondered why I ever said that "The Four Seasons" wasn't good hold music. But once I'm through to a real operator, I quickly order and pay for a new license and they're even using my same photo - the good one.

The Hertz saga
The random fine assigned to me by Hertz hasn't gone away yet, but I did speak to a nice woman at their Dublin call centre who apologised profusely when she finally looked into the records and saw that indeed the parking ticket (issued in London when I was in Scotland) couldn't have been mine. I do have to say that the call centre workers have been charming (Really. Who doesn't love an Irish accent?) but I don't understand why it took three calls for someone to look up my records.

No comments: