Monday, October 17, 2005

Supertasters

In today's Times (which I found on the train) there's an article about people who have extra sensitive taste buds - the Supertasters, aka picky eaters.

Apparently, Supertasters taste things more vibrantly so more things taste yucky, especially more bitter foods like cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc). There's even a scientific test for Supertasterness (read the Times article to find out more)

I myself can't stand melon. Not melon of any kind, not honeydew, nor canteloupe or watermelon. I hate the very smell of it.


I can't even begin to choke it down out of politeness. I wish I did like it, cause I can't even eat food that has touched melon. I can't even pick it out of a fruit salad, cause the whole thing becomes melony.

I never lie about it, saying I'm allergic or anything. I just say "No thank you I just don't like it."

Then come the questions and that's what I hate even more.

Questions like: "How can you not like melon?" "Won't you try this one, it's a good melon?" Or worse "What kind of Southerner doesn't like watermelon?"

The answer is "This one, and if you don't get that stinky melon out of my face, you're gonna find it going in the way it should go out".

Of course, I'm not alone in having a strong dislike of certain foods.

In a sidebar to the Times article there's a list of Top 10 food hates from a BBC Good Food magazine (interestingly it's a 20 item list.)

1 Tripe (will eat it if it's hidden in something else)
2 Snails (they're pretty good)
3 oysters (can't be doing with them raw, otherwise OK)
4 Black pudding (it tastes a bit like dirt, but it's not that bad)
5 Squid (love squid!)
6 Crab sticks (I like these)
7 Sago (what is this?) Update: apparently another icky custardy thing - see junket below
8 Junket (again, never heard of it beyond a freebie trip for Senators)
Update: I've looked up junket, and it's a rennet custard dish, check out the revolting "serving suggestions" on the website. I'm afraid to look up rennet, but I'm guessing it's made out of hooves or something.
9 Kidney (nope, don't eat that)
10 Tapioca (boring and slimy)
11 Haggis (I know the rep, but it's yummy)
12 Mussels (I've been a bit suspicious of these since the Vol-in-Law's food poisoning incident in Amsterdam)
13 Tofu (could take it or leave it)
14 Spam (not a big fan, would rather eat tofu)
15 Aspic (I've seen it in pictures, never looked appetising)
16 Oxtail (doesn't sound good, maybe it's fine)
17 Rabbit (done properly, v good)
18 Semolina (less slimy, but just as boring as tapioca)
19 Peanut butter (who hates that? Course who hates melon?)
20 Anchovies (they're ok, but I don't ever order them)

Many of these food items look like they could usefully be served up as part of the 70s Weight Watcher recipe cards (if you haven't checked this out, you really must)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who claims she's a super taster. It's a pain to eat out with her.

Myself, I hate raw tomatoes, including anything the slimy b*stards touch. That list seems to be things people hate on principle, not by taste.

Dan said...

I've discovered over the decades that i can eat pretty much anything the lower i go down the food chain. The closer I get to primates, the pickier I get. I can only eat muscle tissue of mammals, but I'll eat the whole body of a bivalve. I could chase down and rip a lobster apart and eat his still twitching carcass but if I had to butcher a cow, i might starve to death. As for haggis, my Scottish wife can't even bear to look at it. I learn from her example.