Sunday, October 30, 2005

Halloween bus ride

I left the Halloween party and because the Tube doesn't run as late as it should, were this a town that respected the normal operating hours of human beings, the Vol-in-Law and I attempted to catch a taxi.

Well, a bus arrived before the taxi and I thought what the hey - let's take the bus home. The first bus we got on only went so far as Elephant and Castle - not exactly the nicest part of town, but still quite lively and colorful. So we had to change buses - and this required a two or three block walk to the next bus station. Did I mention that I was dressed as Adam Ant and carrying over $600 in cash?

Anyway, the bus was great. I was stared at a lot. There were a couple of people dressed in costume, but mine was perhaps the most flamboyant on the 333. That is until a guy got on wearing - and I kid you not - about four yards of dark cotton that he had draped across his shoulders and he gripped together with his fist just below his navel. He was also wearing a gold necklace and some sandals. He didn't appear to be wearing anything else. But when he got up to leave the bus, he grip slipped and I could see that he was also wearing a pair of tighty-whiteys. Nice.

Let me tell you, that's not a look that everyone can pull off. And you will read it here first if I ever do see anyone who can pull it off.

When I wasn't watching my fellow passengers, I was watching the passing landscape. Being dark, only the bright lights of the signs from late night take-outs were visible. Most of them were chicken joints - Halal fried chicken joints. Many were trying to cash in on the notoriety of Kentucky Fried Chicken, by using a name with a vague American association:

Dallas Fried Chicken and Ribs
Kennedy Fried Chicken
OHHO Fried Chicken and Pizza
Great Chicken
Tennessee Fried Chicken
a genuine KFC
..and the last one we saw:
Lick'n Chick'n.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

But are they finger lickin' good? How do they rate to KFC?

Vol Abroad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vol Abroad said...

I messed up my comment - anyway. No. I've never actually eaten any fried chicken from these places, but they didn't look great.

melusina said...

Tennessee Fried Chicken???