Monday, October 24, 2005

How 'bout them Vols 2

I've been on the phone with the VolBro and he's been giving me the lowdown on the ignominious defeat and the mood in Knoxville (not good). He said the streets had fallen silent, but a simmering anger and lust for blood was rising.

VolBro says: I hope you like crow, cause we're havin' to eat a lot of it. Shake a little salt on it, maybe it'll go down better.

I would rather serve it up than choke it down. That is surely my right as a Tennessean.

VolBro says that that game would have driven my grandfather to cuss if he were still alive. In our entire collective family memory we can only recall three times that he swore (once at a Tennessee game).

I can't believe that the last time we lost to that team whose name shall not be typed by me I was still living in Knoxville. And the following year when we beat 'em, having not done so through my two degrees and bumming around period in Ktown, I knew that it was time for me to move on. It was the end of an era. I left Knoxville the following year. I can but hope that this weekend's defeat does not similarly mark the end of an era.

On the upside, my pure hatred of that team was beginning to be misunderstood, especially by younger fans who might prefer to hate Florida more. Now can you see why the flame of my hate burned undimmed through these many years?

I started school in the Johnny Majors era, so I can remember the bumper stickers that said "Go Johnny go, and take Don Devoe". I asked VolBro if there was anything similar on Phil*, and he said it's a little hard to do that when you've named a street after the guy. (People, not smart. Wait til a guy is dead or retired before you name a street after a coach, otherwise you're just a hostage to fortune) But VolBro did say that heads were gonna roll.

Indeed. If we can't have enough books in the library, if I have to see the value of my UT degrees eroding away in the slipstream of sliding academic standards, at least win us some damn ball games.

-----------
The Vol-in-Law says "He who would trade literacy for football deserves neither literacy nor football"

The Vol-in-Law says "Sic transit gloria VOLi"

I say, I hope you like sleeping on the couch.

*Update: apparently, the Vol fans, who'll turn on you as quick as rattlesnake on a hot day, are looking higher than Offensive Co-ordinators. The Countertop Chronicles have received an upswing of hits from the search string Fire Phil Fulmer.

How much could it cost for a new street sign anyway?


5 comments:

St. Caffeine said...

Vol, you know I'm generally above such things, but HA HA!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I do agree that it's a shame how UF has become a bigger rival than Bama. Maybe now it'll start to swing back.

Vol Abroad said...

I would rather my hate be funny relic from a bygone era, than to lose to your sorry crimson ___ again.

genderist said...

The Hater and I are arguing against who we hate more. I hate B*ma more than FL, but The Hater has those swapped. Then he hates SC because that's where Steve Spurrier is coaching. Then GA "because they're GA". Then his hate spreads out of conference to Ohio State because of the multiple bowl game losses in the 90s. He's going on and on.

My hate is mostly just against Bama. And to make it worse, Uglyhoma sooners are the same ugly crimson color.

Anonymous said...

Roll Tide Roll. So much hate, but things have returned to normal. Tennessee is struggling for a mid-December bowl and Bama is sitting in the top 5.

Vol Abroad said...

Yeah - nice one - I like that you hide your identity. Does this not say something about your honor? Your standing among Football playing states?