Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Now you know

The UK National Archives has uploaded a number of old public information films to their website, which you can download for you viewing pleasure and instruction.

The picture on the left comes from a film entitled Pedestrian Crossing.

I wouldn't have minded a little instruction on British pedestrian crossing myself when I first came over. They have Zebra crossing, Pelican crossings, Puffin crossings, Toucan crossings - and pedestrian refuges. (I still don't know what these all are after 9 years here - but here's a link if you're that curious.)

Pedestrians be warned - not all drivers regard pedestrian crossings with equal respect. In my neighborhood, I'd say drivers will stop 95% of the time once you're already out in the road. In my old neighbourhood, it was more like 15%. In the really posh London areas (like St John's Wood or Wimbledon Village) drivers will pull slowly and gently to a stop before you even consider stepping off the curb.

Other public information film classics in the National Archive are Charley's March of Time, where the hapless hero is persuaded of the benefits of the cradle-to-grave welfare system; Journey on a London bus, where immigrants are taught the proper behaviour on London transport (I bet back packs stuffed with explosives isn't covered); and Coughs and Sneezes, explaining how not to spread disease.

Tags: ,

No comments: