Sunday, October 30, 2005

Oh my Vols

I knew I wasn't going to be able to catch any of the Vols v. Gamecocks game this weekend, so I went ahead and checked the old Rocky Top Brigade to see how wide was our margin of victory over South Carolina.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. This hurts. Post after post after post of pain...and calling for heads to roll.

Joel S. Hollingworth says: Brace Yourselves

2005 is shaping up to be the worst season for Tennessee football in a very long time. Add to that the fact that pre-season expectations were higher than they had been for a very long time, and you have serious problems on Rocky Top.

Brace yourselves.

This is not going to be pretty.

Big Orange Michael says: This must be some kind of cosmic joke...

Phil Fulmer--remember how you got this job. Johnny Majors had a team with talent and potential that was squandered and he left the door open for you. Now, 13 years later, you have begun to emulate the mistakes that cost Majors his job. I am no yet calling for your head but I do call for some firing or reorganizing be done--namely Randy Sanders. And I also must say we need to maybe just maybe emphasize in drills in practice how to hold onto the ball inside the ten and get a damn touchdown for a change instead of turning it over and losing the damn game.


Yes Phil - I'm sure you well remember the night of long orange knives. There are few moments in my life where I can remember exactly where I was when I got some kind of news...9/11, the OJ jury verdict, Reagan getting shot, the Miracle at South Bend (this is a great story in itself), and the night I heard that Johnny Majors got the boot. I was still a student and I remember the stunned faces of those I met on the street. You could tell just by looking if someone had heard the news or not. Remember that Phil?

Genderist at Haiku of the Id writes of Sucking the Gamecock:

For shame, Phil. I'd ask where the buck stops, but I'm afraid you might fumble it into the end zone.


Voluminous says: Disgusting

Rich at Shots across the Bow has some questions: and makes the link between Halloween and the disgusting loss.

I went to a Halloween costume party last night. I was going to go as the Vol offense, but then realized I'd have to be a no-show, and I didn't want to miss the fun.


Six Meat Buffet scoops 'em again and got Coach Fulmer to contribute a guest editorial. It's insightful, and boy Phil has really managed to raise my confidence that there's a bowl game in Tennessee's future.

But maybe Phil should hone his writing skills in a bid for a new career:

'Cause over at the Countertop Chronicles: Fire Phil Fulmer.

I'm not entirely sure that's the answer, but he does need to be made aware that he doesn't have a it-don't-matter-how-you-do contract-for-life.
_________

The Vol-in-Law, who doesn't really understand these things (after all he's only a Vol through marriage and British to boot) was a little bemused as I read out these posts to him. He said: "Maybe the Vols should take a little break from the SEC."

Tags:,

3 comments:

Countertop said...

When I was a student, we thought Majors had a job for life.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Remember Phil, what goes around, comes around.

Incidentally, its like a mini Instalanche today - I've had well over 500 google hits on Fire Phil Fulmer.

Dan said...

I've hated Phil Fulmer since he engineered a victory over my beloved Seminoles in the National Championship game in 1999. A dark day in 'Nole history. The only possible dismay I can muster at the plight of the Volunteers is at the disappointment of swell folks like you who had the misfortune of being betrayed by the "Fat Man".

I had the misfortune of going to a little private liberal arts college in Portland, and we had no football, just a drunken rugby team. So I had to use my brother's alma mater to satisfy every American's hunger for somebody to root for. I just hope for the sake of Vol fans everywhere that Phil is offered an opportunity to coach elsewhere, and soon.

Vol Abroad said...

I appreciate the sentiment, Sam, I do. But when other teams' fans are feeling sorry for us and even Bama fans are starting to lay off a victory they must surely want to still rub in, it just shows how low we've sunk.