Sunday, October 16, 2005

Unseasonably warm

It's been mostly lovely weather this October, better perhaps than July and August (except of course for the day we had transport problems) This morning the BBC announced that the temperature would be up in "double digits", which always confuses me because I still think in Farenheit (and even in Celsius that doesn't make much sense, I mean 10 is OK I think, but 99 Celsius would be pretty ridiculous)

Anyway, to make the most of it, the Vol-in-Law and I went, again, to Richmond Deer Park. It's pretty much a fall back weekend activity for us, but it is a really nice park.

On our way in, we saw this sign: I'm not sure how legible it is, but essentially it's the notice of the annual deer cull. I see that they are shooting the deer at night, which is awfully considerate of us regular park users.


I reckon they must be spot-lighting the deer. But hey, it's the Queen's deer, she can do what she likes with them, I guess. I would be curious as to what criteria they are using to cull the deer. Do they particularly go after bucks, does, little 'uns, ones that look tasty? My suspicion is that they shoot the less human-shy ones as a matter or policy, because hardly any deer are the least bit friendly even when you have a tasty treat like a flapjack (oatmeal bar).

This one looks like a good trophy (if I were in to that kind of thing, but I'm not).


And these are awfully cute, too.




I did tell some of the deer "Stay away from the light, the light is not your friend." But I don't think they understood me.

We also saw a notice in the park telling us not to pick any of the fungi. We did see some amazing fairy tale looking mushrooms. Possibly just the kind of fungi that Snow White's evil stepmom put on her apple to make her sleep.


No comments: