Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Double tagged

I've been tagged again on the 5 fave restaurant meme. So, I'll just link to my original post.

One thing I will say, in my original post I listed pretty much all local places. Yes, London has many, many fabulous restaurants, but I really like going out in my own neighbourhood. I've felt more this way since getting involved with local politics.

But I do have an update. One of the folks I tagged, listed a place called Pizzeria Sette Bello, in Tooting on Amen Corner. It sounded really good and good value (by London standards). I really wanted to try it before the baby arrived, and since it really could be any.time.now. I figured I better go soon.

So we went tonight and we decided to walk, with the option of catching the bus home afterwards. I'm awfully, awfully glad we did walk up there (and back) because I absolutely stuffed myself.

For starters I had the eggplant parmesan - or melanzana parmigiana. I don't know if it has the labor inducing properties of the famous Scalini's recipe, but it was certainly delicious. Really delicately flavoured with a lovely herby marinara.

I also had the pizza, which was very traditional - tasted quite like the ones in Italy - which isn't necessarily a fantastic thing. I'm a big fan of faffy pizza with complicated ingredients put together in an artistic way. But it was still very tasty. I also had a side salad which was big enough to split - a rare thing. The Vol-in-Law had a penne with a creamy tomato sauce which was also very good. I don't think I've ever seen him order anything other than a pizza at a pizzeria.

And then we had dessert. It was a cherry cheesecake. It looked fantastic, like a New York style baked cheesecake. You see, cheesecake in Britain is usually the congealed kind, not baked at all. And it usually has a nasty, non-cheesy, chemical aftertaste. Well, this wasn't a beautiful baked cheesecake, but I have to say it was the best "English" style cheesecake I'd ever had. Light, delicious and with no nasty aftertaste.

But best of all, the place had a friendly, open atmosphere - and great service - so unusual in this country...

Yum. I can't say when I'll go again, given my impending change in life circumstances, but I'd go again soon if I could.

3 comments:

jen said...

Glad you enjoyed! You should try the tiramisu next time. It's really incredible. And the daily specials are always the best.

Like I said, nothing fancy, just good simple food, and nice, warm people. Watch the owner interact with some of the regulars, and you know they actually value their customers.

Mostly, I just love the neighbourhood atmosphere - and occasional free limoncello ;)

Joe Powell said...

sorry about the repeat tag!! maybe the reason i thought of your blog was that i had already read your previous post on food.
i blame the evil sinus headaches provided with the arrival of May in east tenn.!!

Vol Abroad said...

Ha! I remember those. Dreadful. I still get hay fever, but NOTHING like E. Tennessee allergy attacks.