Saturday, May 19, 2007

t-1: last day - right?

We've had our last baby class today. It was all about taking care of baby. We were given lots of leaflets.

Here's the main thing I learned: Don't overdress baby. Babies in Britain should be kept at 65 F - but of course that's 18 C. Babies in America are supposed to be kept at 70 F.

Our house doesn't have any air conditioning, so basically ambient temperature is what our house will be. The best advice I've seen though is that baby should be wearing one more light layer than what you're comfortable at. Of course, unless it's broiling here, I'm not hot. When Brits are sweltering, I'm reaching for my cardigan.

-0-

I reset my due date til tomorrow, to take in this last class. But officially it was yesterday. Nobody in my family has been overdue for 60 years. Maybe Cletus is just being a good boy and complying with my original wishes.

-0-

I haven't really complained. Until now. But my feet are really swollen. Painfully swollen. Last night I stubbed my toe on the hearth, but instead of just stubbing - I managed to cut my foot open in two places. Not bad, really. But given that my problem is painful swelling the cuts only make things worse. Only walking gives me any relief from the swelling - and now that I've got a cut on the bottom of my foot - walking is a lot less pleasant than it was before.

Still, we managed to go for a walk in a "park" near our house today. It's called the Wandle Wildlife Meadow - but it's really a grown-over wasteland, a disused sewage works with a path cut through it.

But there was some wildlife. We saw some feral children and a couple of young foxes.

And the swelling went down...temporarily.

1 day til baby Cletus

4 comments:

Drew said...

Have a speedy delivery! And of course safe and with easy clean up. Does the doula bring a mop and some Windex? Best of luck! Can't wait to see pics. Love, D

genderist said...

Everybody at home is really excited for you. Sister reports that Dad is practicing "Happy Birthday" with the whistles...

Those of us in Uglyhoma are also getting excited. We'll sing Rocky Top as soon as we hear the good news.

Anonymous said...

and of course your cousins in Brentwood and Vol Aunt are excitedly reading for the big day!
....Al was 2 weeks late....

Vol Abroad said...

Ahhh... to VolAunt - I just assumed because she was c-sxn, there was a problem and she was early.