Friday, May 18, 2007

t-2: I'm so bored

I had this idea, see - born of the times my grandfather gave me makework* in the summer to keep me from sleeping in all day. I always thought that if I heard a kid complain "I'm so bored," the standard reply ought to be "That's probably because you don't have enough chores to do."

I am so bored.

It's not like I don't have enough chores to do. I could do endless chores. I think there's some laundry in the dryer. That could be folded. Vacuuming, bathroom cleaning, I just took my seedlings outside finally and there's accumulated dirt in the windowsill. I should probably get that up before the midwives report me to social services. And if I'm too tired to do it, I could always command the Vol-in-Law (don't know how well that would go down, though).

There's weeding and planting out to do - although at 40 weeks pregnant, that really is a bit difficult and something I don't want the ViL messing with.

I could do my little scanning in old photos project. I could go shopping for food.

But no. I am so bored. I am just puttering about, waiting. The waiting is getting oppressive now. We're just waiting for baby to arrive - and the anticipation is so distracting and consuming that neither one of us is really able to concentrate on anything else. Not even getting ready.

2 days til baby Cletus


_____
*one year I'd have to paint the wrought iron, super ornate garden furniture with white lacquer and the next year I'd have to paint it black - the next year white. This necessitated multiple coats to cover the - in my opinion - still good paint job from the previous year. And because I did NOT follow instructions - scraping and removing rust before painting - I managed to seal in the rot. Not that it mattered, since no one ever sat on that garden furniture.

I had to paint it with a brush. Spray machines were not allowed. I complied. My brother did not. He waited until my grandfather left the house and then used a sprayer to do a "really good job."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't work either, and there is no grandmaternity leave, paid or unpaid. This is consuming me. I was in Nashville yesterday and I found a really neat present for daddyVIL. I think he'll really like it. I showed it off at the office this morning to oohs and ahs. VolMom

Anonymous said...

Rex and I were just saying a few weeks ago that "I'm bored" was one of the worst things a person can say. Boredom indicates a lack of imagination, and our child will never be allowed to say s/he is bored. But last weekend, when my whole family was at our house laboring over an outdoor project I was lucky enough to have them help with, but was not --in my condition -- allowed to join in on, as it involved heavy lifting and slightly toxic things-- I found myself repeatedly muttering "I'm bored, I'm bored, I'm bored."

I hope your wait ends soon.

genderist said...

Proclaiming boredness was equally dangerous in my house... and almost always ended up doing some kind of gross chore like shucking corn or throwing veggie guts or fruit rinds "over the fence" at the back of the property.

Anonymous said...

Hey - my girlfriend is 40 weeks + 1 day, also in London and completely fed up of being pregnant. It feels like this baby is never going to come. I agree it's boring waiting. Have you tried anything to bring the birth on?