Thursday, May 03, 2007

t-17: co-sleeping

Yesterday, we had our second visit with the doula (birth attendant). She comes around for about two hours and we talk about birth preferences.

She was really impressed by my calm (err..I'm not really that calm) and she said Cletus was really lucky to have us as parents. This last was in response to our stated intention to co-sleep.

We're not co-sleeping because it's best for baby. We're co-sleeping 'cause I don't want to drag my ass out of bed to feed the baby and probably have it end up sleeping in bed with us anyway. Also, we haven't bought a mattress for the crib yet and most of the crib bedding is still in America in VolMom's suitcase.

Actually, I think the Vol-in-Law wanted to co-sleep because he thought it was best for Cletus, especially since he's not the one who'll be feeding the baby.

-0-

I had to laugh when the woman said that Cletus was lucky to have us as parents. We're kind of weird. We talk about politics a lot. We watch documentaries on tv. We won't have an x-box or wii or anything like that, probably. Unless somebody gives us an older, no-longer wanted model down the line. We want to be strict, but we probably lack the self-discipline, which means we may be inconsistent. I'm not sure I'm going to give up visiting museums and botannical gardens and town halls and state houses on vacation. The Vol-in-Law is involved in a one-man Disney boycott* (because of their stance on copyright) - so there will never be any Disney DVDs or trips to Disneyworld.

I'm not sure how lucky Cletus will count himself as having us as parents. But then again, he'll be born into the Big Orange Nation - so I guess he's pretty lucky.

--------

*He feels about this so strongly that he was disappointed when I accidentally bought some diapers with Disney characters on them. Ooops. Oh well, Cletus will get to poo on Pooh for at least one package anyway.

7 comments:

genderist said...

We're getting so excited!! Are you excited??

Anonymous said...

Um, she said he'd be lucky. Not that he'd be happy about it. Big diff. You sound like parents who wouldn't make me want to puke. Cool.

Kat Coble said...

No trips to disney?!?

My heart is breaking for little cletus.

Vol Abroad said...

Yeah, I know - not even EuroDisney which serves alcohol.

But you would feel sorry for him if you knew that each request for a toy or a t-shirt or a DVD would result not just in refusal, but also a lecture about the Berne agreement, the principles of intellectual property and fair use.

He'll get to go to Dollywood though, one day, if he's good.

Vol Abroad said...

The husband reminds me that it's the Berne Convention - so despite being told about a million times I've just demonstrated that I wasn't listening.

St. Caffeine said...

Two comments:
1. A former neighbor once heaped praises on the doula they'd hire to assist with their childbirth experience. "Once she showed up and started helping xxx breath, why that baby just came right out no problem." The wife, however, had a MUCH different memory of the event!

2. I applaud the ViL for his stand on Disney and copyright law. It is detestable. I knew there was a reason I liked him.

Anonymous said...

from vol aunt
Well the co-sleeping certainly worked for your cousins...really am enjoying the count downs