Monday, May 21, 2007

Scalini's labor inducing eggplant

Here's an update from the previous countdown post. The eggplant parmesan, made to Scalini's labor inducing eggplant recipe - is in the oven - the flavors blending, the cheese melting, the perfect goodness of al forno. (Hmm...al forno sounds a lot like how I got myself into this position in the first place.)

Accept no substitutions
VolMom suggested a simpler, easier recipe in the comments section of the previous post. That might be all well and good, but I'm afraid I need every step and part of the ritual to take full advantage of the sympathetic magic. Plus, they say that the active stuff is probably in the herbs. The recipe calls for fresh herbs, so I got me some fresh herbs - and no jar sauce - no matter how good it is will be able to compare.

I have tasted the marinara - and it is divine.

marinara sauce

It's a lot of work
This recipe takes a lot of effort. There are many stages. But luckily, I had two helpers.

The Vol-in-Law

My husband grates the cheese
who grated the cheese.

And Fancy...
Fancy on her perch

...who frankly provided the kind of help I didn't need.

my special helper

Now, don't worry about cat hair in the sauce - because basically I'm doing this for Cletus. He needs to have exposure to dander and dirt to prevent asthma. I'm just looking after the health of my unborn baby.

And here are some more stages in the process...

The panfried eggplant slices:

IMG_6849-1

and the first layer of the construction:

the first layer of eggplant


I'm getting pretty hungry.

Of course, now the kitchen is a total tip. And normally that wouldn't matter, but I am planning a home birth. I just hope the early stages of labor (brought on by the eggplant of course) are easy enough that I can supervise the ViL in a little kitchen tidying.

It's ready!

I just heard my oven beeping. So that's it for this post, I have to go.

UPDATE: I've just noticed that people are landing on this post from a Google search. So... did it work? No. It did not.

I made and ate this at 3 days past my due date. I had it for lunch the second day. We had leftovers again several days later. I am still pregnant 9 days later. I am very overdue.

Was it good? Yes - it was effin' unbelievably tasty. The marinara sauce was great (best I've ever tasted - anywhere) and in itself wasn't that much trouble. I will use that again. If I made this again, I would probably oven roast the eggplant slices with a light seasoning of Italian herbs and a drizzle of olive oil rather than pan fry and I would cut back (a bit) on the cheese. This would save about a million calories and I think it would tast a bit "fresher". That's just me. And the most trouble about the whole recipe was the frying up of the eggplant slices.

Further update: I've noticed this is a very popular post - and I realise that if you're searching for this, you're probably at the tail end of your pregnancy and desperate for it to be over and to have that baby. Well, good luck. I made this just past my due date and delicious though it was, my baby was born 16 days late after three days of labor. Your mileage may vary. Of course, the labor inducing drugs didn't work very well for me either. (Read birth story here if you want). The best thing for me was using one of those swiss balls or birthing balls.

And, of course, you will get your baby in the end. Here are some photos!

10 comments:

A said...

Yum. That looks wonderful. I love eggplant parmesan, but the purported powers of this recipe have me concerned that it may not be safe for one at 17 weeks.

I sent a new colleague and expectant dad off this week with this recipe (I remembered where you had posted a link before), and he swore he would try it, so that'll be another test of its worth.

Lynnster said...

Well, I keep stopping by to see if Cletus has arrived, and then it occurs to me that the Vol-in-Law doesn't post so often so even if he has arrived it may be a while 'til we know!

KathyT had a friend who was ready & anxious about going into labor recently and I asked how come she hadn't tried the eggplant. I don't recall any mention that her friend had had the baby yet so I should check into that.

Fancy appears to be an eggplant expert (or at least she wants you to think she is)!

Side note - when my former longtime co-worker's daughter was a baby, the doctor told my co-worker she's have to get rid of the cats because baby was allergic. My co-worker said no, she'd get used to the cats. Indeed she did and rather quickly as well.

Anyway - well, I hope you like eggplant, Cletus - now hurry up, we're all ready to meet you!

Vol Abroad said...

I tested allergic to cats as a wee kid, but my mom didn't get rid of hers! Unless Cletus's throat is literally swelling shut, I can't see getting rid of my cats.

And as for the eggplant - if my reaction is any sign, I think it's PERFECTLY safe at any stage.

Vol Abroad said...

I forgot to say, that's Fancy's new fave spot. She somehow thinks it's OK because it's not on the counter (a forbidden area), but she can still reach the counter. It's my own fault. I don't let them on the table, but I will allow them to sit on the chairs - and I'm not very diligent about pushing fancy off the top of the trash.

Lynnster said...

Heh. We won't talk about where all cats go around my house... ;)

genderist said...

Zoloft goes wherever she wants at our place, too.

:)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I never heard about the eggplant recipe helping to induce labor. I used labor acupressure when I was over 40 weeks and that helped to get things going.

Anonymous said...

I'll be giving that recipe a try if I'm ever overdue again!

LBA said...

4 days overdue and trying to avoid being induced.

I'm making it tonight.
I suppose it can't hurt....

:)

Anonymous said...

Very interesting...never heard about this. I'll remember it for the next time and inform my wife, but hope it wouldn't be necessary. She also found acupressure very helpful though...